The Hellenic Business Angels Network (HeBAN) has been established as a national, non-profit organisation in response to a gap in the Greek entrepreneurial ecosystem of providing sufficient funding and expertise to innovative start-ups in their early stages. With the first initiative and activities undertaken in 2012 HeBAN was fully incorporated in 2015, HeBAN is envisioned to create a national platform for bringing together the stakeholders of the Greek start-up ecosystem and help implement a sustainable Business Angels and early stage investors network in the country.
HeBAN aims to support with a wide array of activities the formation and cooperation of local Business Angels groups, clubs and networks and motivate and support potential and active Business Angels and other related stakeholders in Greece to contribute to the creation of a functioning eco-system for early stage investment. Furthermore, HeBAN wants to foster public awareness and understanding of the importance of a strong early stage investment ecosystem for the Greek economy and advocates the needs of the Greek angel community towards the relevant local, national and international bodies.
Our services entail education and training for private investors, interest lobbying, facilitation of networking and high-quality deal-flow, as well as dissemination of latest research and best practices. For entrepreneurs and start-up facilitators, such as incubators, accelerators and others, HeBAN serves as an access point in their search for private investment.
Some of the latest HeBAN activities in 2017:
- January 24th: “Scaling up Greece and beyond” organized by Deloitte Greece in Athens
- February 10th: Startup Europe Week 2017 in Thessaloniki
- February 20th: “Software Companies Scaleup” organized by Technopolis Cluster in Thessaloniki
- April 6-8: Executive MBA Programme, International Faculty of the University of Sheffield, City College in Thessaloniki
- April 8th: Business Angels Forum IV in Athens
- Aug 31 – Sep 1: 10th International Conference for Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Regional Development (ICEIRD) in Thessaloniki
Ketikidis, P. H., Ladas, A., Gonidis, F., Baresel-Bofinger, A., Aichinger, K., Athanasiadou, O., Giorgalli, M., Paradeisi, R., Studenica, A., Tsigarida, K. (2017). The science of success: Investigating an innovative methodology charting the steps to start-up success. Thessaloniki, Greece. Working Paper. (You can find the paper here)
Ketikidis, P. H., Chikhladze, K., & Baresel-Bofinger, A. (2016). Early Stage Investment in Southeast Europe: Issues and Challenges. Working Paper. (You can find the paper here)